The rebuilding of Freemans 1963-5
Resource Type: Image | Posted on 19th August 2011 by Liam Physick
This image shows the various stages in the rebuilding of Freemans between 1963 and 1965. First we see the shop boarded up in December 1962, prior to rebuilding. The second photograph, taken on 5th February 1963, shows the demolition of the Capitol cinema. The third, from 4th March 1963, shows the building of the extensions to Freemans and Ambassador Bowling. The fourth, taken on 29th April 1963, shows further progress. The fifth picture shows the demolition of the 1934 extension and the Faraday Building on 20th January 1964. The sixt hpicture shows an especially significant moment: the demolition, on 4th February 1964, of 58 Wavertree Road, where Clement Freeman opened the store in 1891. The seventh photograph, taken on 21st July 1964, shows the rebuilt Freemans beginning to take shape. Finally, we see the revamped store opening in November 1964.
Categorised under: Shops & Shopping